Wednesday 19 February 2014

A Song of Ice and Fire, Book One: A Game of Thrones, George R.R Martin.

After handing in my uni work I was desperate to read something good. 


Cue happy reader sighing noise- this was the first and only thing I truly enjoyed reading in the entire semester. At 800 pages, I thought it might be a bit of a slog but as it turns out the length was a joy, allowing me to be engulfed in the world for longer. I could remember enough of the TV show to know that it stayed very true to the book, but not too much that I could remember every detail of what was going to happen whilst reading. I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I knew all the characters already, and got to know them better through the descriptions in the book. Martin is an excellent storyteller, an expert at battle scenes, dialogue, place descriptions and feeding information little by little. 
As with the TV show, each chapter follows a different main character, allowing the reader to keep up with what's happening on all fronts, and sometimes even seeing a situation from two different perspectives. 
I was glad I'd seen the show first, as it meant I didn't get confused between the many, many characters. But that might be simply due to my pea brain.
Game of Thrones was the best book I've read in a long time, and I'm very much looking forward to reading the next one.

5/5 *****


No comments:

Post a Comment